Monday, November 1, 2010

Blog Journal Challenge, Day 1 - your favorite song

Day 1 - Your favorite song:

Starting this challenge with a tough one! I definitely can't narrow down just 1 favorite song. I have several that take me back to certain time or memory. If I had to give one answer though, I'd probably say Of Greetings and Goodbyes by AFI.



I am a huge AFI fan and this song is the perfect example of everything I love about this band. It may not be their best song of all time, but it makes me want to dance around and sing along. I think this song is absolutely perfect.

Of course, AFI have had a long career and have a song for every mood. A very close second on my Favorite Song List is Fainting Spells by AFI.



I think this is another song that showcases everything that drew me to this band in the first place. The screaming chorus that comes out of nowhere. The quirky, electronic bridge that seems out of place but totally right at the same time. Everything.

Moving away from AFI songs, most of the songs I love are a result of them transporting me back to particular time. Paparazzi by Lady Gaga does just that. I consider this the theme song of the Bermuda Triangle (the most powerful force in the world AKA my two best friends and me).



This song is all kinds of awesome but mostly it reminds me of my last semester in college. Our trip to New York (where there were endless Gaga references), driving around Raleigh, staying up late trying to finish our final college projects. We made the most of our last semester of college and Lady Gaga seemed to be the perfect soundtrack to that.

Finally, we have my favorite radio song. You would think if someone liked a song enough to put it in the favorites category, they would be sure to buy it or download it or whatever so they could listen to it over and over. But some songs are even better when you can't just cue it up on your iPod on demand. The anticipation of listening to the radio and hoping that song will come on. Since songs in this category are tied to what's popular on the radio, this is another case where the song is special for the memories it stirs up. In this case, my current favorite radio song is one that was popular a few months ago. Jars by Chevelle.



Hearing this takes me back to when I was still working in Tysons and spent what felt like forever in my car. I heard this song at least 2-3 times every day. I don't hear it as often any more but when I do, I feel compelled to blast it. It's also a reminder of how far I've come in just the last few months since finishing college and entering the working world. I'm sure in a few months I'll have a new favorite radio song that will take me back to all the moments and memories being created now and that will be added to the list.

There are so many other songs that could go on this list and if I were to re-compile this list another day, it may be completely different. I could go on for days about songs I love and what they mean to me and why but those are some of the basics that represent some of my favorite songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment